Overlooking the Hauraki Gulf, The Sunderland Hangar was built in 1939 by Tasman Empire Airways Ltd (TEAL) for its new Trans-Tasman sea planes.
At the time of its construction, The Hangar used a state-of-the-art and lightweight steel roof truss system, leaving the interior free of supporting posts to accommodate large planes. It delivered a massive ceiling height of 27m!
Today The Hangar has been developed by Willis Bond & Co and master planned by Cheshire Architects, as part of a multi-stage masterplan for the redevelopment of Catalina Bay.
The Hangar forms part of the first stage of works and is one of seven existing
air force buildings being refurbished into a mixture of hospitality,
commercial, office and retail offerings and a new home for the popular